2014年1月21日星期二

Copy Configuration of Cisco Switch to Another, How to do?

I have to deploy one more Cisco Catalyst 2960 to our network... what i wanted to do is just copy the config file of another 2960- which is already on the network, and just change the ip address after that. My problem is I forgot how to do it using ftp.. I have filezilla client and server, as well as tera term. I had used filezilla once to download config from one of our switch, but i forgot the steps. And I'm confuse which one I will use to download the config, filezilla client or file zilla server?... Or can I just copy and paste the output of the config from my teraterm?

The solution:
1 You can copy the config from the first switch to the FTP server and then from the FTP server to the second switch. Be sure the second switch isn't connected to the network, but instead with a direct connection to the FTP server. Otherwise, you will have network problems with both switches having the same IP address.

2 FTP / TFTP or copy / paste using Notepad and PuTTY / Tera Term etc is the easiest way. Saving to a thumb drive just adds an extra two steps that aren't required. And none of the 2900 series switches have USB ports anyway... well not for that anyway. New 2960's such as WS-C2960S-24TS-L have mini-USB ports for the new USB console cables.

3 I have a trick to offer that will help with editing your file in the copy/paste route.
Once in global config mode, type:
term length 0
show run
What that does is prints the entire config from top to bottom, without the "press enter to continue" messages in the middle. Once it's done, you put it back with:
term length 24

If you don't put it back, scrolling is permanently off. Hope that's useful.

没有评论:

发表评论